2018 Juried Salon Show
Traverse City, Michigan
322 6th St.,
Traverse City, MI 49684
Show Dates: June 22 - September 1 2018
Painting Size: 432 sq. inches
Presents The 2018 Salon
Juried Exhibition Of Traditional Oils
OPA's 2018 Salon Show Juried Exhibition is being hosted by Crooked Tree Arts Center, located in Traverse City, Michigan, from June 22 through September 1, 2018. This event is open to all current members of OPA, with entries being accepted through April 13. The mission of the Crooked Tree Arts Center is "to inspire and enrich lives through the arts". We anticipate that this exhibition will do just that.
Located on Lake Michigan, beautiful and historic Traverse City offers participants and guests many exciting venues to visit when not at the show. With 64 miles of beaches, nearby Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore was voted Good Morning America's "Most Beautiful Place". Visit the 140 acre Grand Traverse Commons Natural Area to walk over hills or possibly paint the scenery of wooded areas and peaceful streams. Strolling the board walk along the Boardman River is also an option, with fly fishing tackle in hand for those who like to fish.
Northwestern Michigan College offers changing exhibits and artwork at the Dennos Museum Center as well as nautical information at the Great Lakes Maritime Academy. Or visit Old Mission Lighthouse Park. Many ship wrecks are visible in this area and scuba diving is a possibility to view some of them. A number of fine restaurants and wineries are located in this area as well. All in all, Traverse city offers many opportunities for having fun while attending the OPA exhibition. Crooked Tree Arts Center is hosting an opening reception for artists, collectors, the public and the press on Friday, June 22, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 6:00 p.m.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of approximately 200 representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be a minimum of $15,000 in cash and/or merchandise.
The awarding juror will be a nationally renowned Master Signature Member Roger Dale Brown.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens - both natural born or otherwise - of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2018 OPA members. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2018 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual's name. The decision of the Board is final.
General InformationFINAL ACCEPTANCE: Online submissions: Friday, April 13, 2018
- Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 432 square inches (unframed). Example: 18" (height) x 24" (width) = 432 square inches.
- Maximum entries two (2). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
- Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA National Exhibition.
- Submission must be originally conceived, artist's own reference, own drawing, own concept and must be self-painted.
- Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork.
- No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or any reference you do not hold total copyright are allowed.
- NO digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/ or paint the image on the substrate him/herself.
- Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2" beyond the back of the frame.
- Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable.
- Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface.
- The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
- All work must be for sale and reflect the artist's current pricing structure. No NFS.
- An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years.
Online Submissions - Deadline: Friday, April 13, 2018
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, January 22 2018. Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found here.
To submit your electronic application and images, please click here.
The jurying fee for electronic entries is as follows: one painting is $30.00 or $45.00 for two paintings. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through PayPal. No e-checks will be accepted. Jurying fees for online submissions may also be paid by check mailed to OPA if received by Friday, April 13, 2018.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2018 at a cost of $70.00. If you are currently not a member or have not paid your 2018 membership dues, OPA will accept your entry provided that 1) an electronic membership fee is paid by Friday, April 13 or 2) a mailed membership application and your annual dues are postmarked no later than Friday, April 6, 2018. More membership information may be found here.
Sales commission of 40% is required by Crooked Tree Arts Center for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist's current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to the Crooked Tree Arts Center, 322 Sixth St., Traverse City, MI between May 14 and May 31, 2018. Hand delivered work must be picked up between September 3 and September 8, 2018.
Out of Town Artists: ship to the Crooked Tree Arts Center, 322 Sixth St., Traverse City 49684 to arrive May 14 through May 31, 2018.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $25.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating and contacting your shipper for return. Artist may elect to include a return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to Crooked Tree Arts Center. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist's/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brand, like Masterpak or Uline. FedEx Art boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $25 prior to hanging of the painting. Strong boxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist's expense.Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped "FREE DOMICILE" or will not be accepted. Notification posted on website: Jury results posted on OPA website on May 4.
Liabilities and Responsibilities
Oil Painters of America and the Crooked Tree Arts Center will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
James Bruce, Signature Member and OPA Board Member, will serve as chairman of a Jurying Committee consisting of five Master Signature and/or Signature members of OPA. The results of the jurying will be final. No refunds will be made on unaccepted entries.Good Luck and Good Painting
Deadline for submissions
Acceptance notification posted on the OPA website
May - May 31
Both shipped and hand delivered artwork to arrive at Crooked Tree Arts Center
Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 6:00 p.m.
June 22 - September 1
Length of time show will be open for viewing. See below for museum hours.
Local Artists: removal of paintings during this period. If not removed a storage fee will be charged. Crooked Tree Arts Center thanks you for your cooperation.
OPA has reserved a limited number of rooms at the Grand Traverse Resort & Spa located in Williamsburg, Michigan and about a 15 minute drive to the Crooked Tree Art Center in Traverse City. Please let them know you are with the Oil Painters of America to receive our special rates. Rooms must be reserved prior to May 15 or until the block is full. FYI: Summers are a very busy time in Traverse City and hotel rooms are at a premium and book up quickly so please make your reservations as soon as possible. Click here for more information