The 2021 Salon Show Juried Exhibition of Traditional Oils
OPA’s 2021 Salon Show was hosted by Quinlan Visual Arts Center, located in Gainesville, Georgia, June 10 through August 7, 2021. The Opening Reception was held on Thursday, June 10 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 6:30 p.m.
Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and near the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests, Gainesville offers a variety of recreational activities such as hiking, biking, fishing and golfing. The North Georgia Garden Trail offers 26 beautiful, public gardens to visit and the Georgia Foothills Wine Tour introduces visitors to a variety of wines at 6 wineries and tasting rooms.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of approximately 300 representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total awards will be approximately $15,000 in cash and merchandise.
The awarding juror will be OPA Signature member Charles Young Walls.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens – both natural born or otherwise – of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2021 OPA members. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2021 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
Awards and Jurors
- Awards: The total awards will be approximately $15,000 in cash and merchandise.
- Jurors: The awarding juror will be OPA Signature member Charles Young Walls.
- Entry: Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Saturday, February 20, 2020. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 432 square inches (unframed). Images should be between 1400 and 4000 pixels at the largest dimension. Specific details on how to prepare your image properly can be found at: Click on the “Help” tab.
- General Information: OPA’s 2021 Salon Show is being hosted by Quinlan Visual Arts Center, located in Gainesville, Georgia, June 10 through August 7, 2021. The Opening Reception will be held on Thursday, June 10 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with the awards presentation at 6:30 p.m. This event is open to all current members of OPA, with entries being accepted through Friday, March 31. We encourage all current OPA members to enter this exhibition in the inviting city of Gainesville. Located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and near the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests, Gainesville offers a variety of recreational activities such as hiking, biking, fishing and golfing. The North Georgia Garden Trail offers 26 beautiful, public gardens to visit and the Georgia Foothills Wine Tour introduces visitors to a variety of wines at 6 wineries and tasting rooms. Gainesville is known as the “Queen City of the Mountains”, the ”Poultry Capital of the World” and the “Hospitality Capital of the World”.
- Advanced Registration: To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: Juried Art Services and look for OPA’s 2021 Salon Show.
- Show Rules: FINAL ACCEPTANCE: Online submissions: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 Canvas size: maximum size not to exceed 432 square inches (unframed). Example: 18” (height) x 24” (width) = 432 square inches. Maximum entries three (3). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted. Paintings entered must have been painted in the last 3 years and should not have been accepted into a previous OPA Regional, Salon Show or National Exhibition. Submission must be originally conceived, artist’s own reference, own drawing, own concept and must be self-painted. Paintings created in an instructional setting, including, but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. Paintings created from a group photo shoot set-up by another artist are not considered original artwork. No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or any reference you do not hold total copyright are allowed. No digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. The artist must draw and/or paint the image on the substrate him/herself. Painting must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum wrap canvas or deep board) the frame must be of adequate depth so that the substrate does not extend more than 1/2” beyond the back of the frame. Flat substrates, including canvas board, Gesso board, Gesso Masonite board, acrylic Gessoed Dibond aluminum, aluminum composite panel and wood are acceptable. Paintings on decorative copper and tooled aluminum, oil paper, natural stone or on three-dimensional objects are not acceptable. Oil paints, alkyd resin, water soluble oils and oil sticks/bars are acceptable. Metal leaf (i.e: gold, silver, etc.) is acceptable if it does not comprise more than twenty percent (20%) of the visible surface. The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion. All work must be for sale and reflect the artist’s current pricing structure. No NFS. An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibition for the two succeeding years. Images should be of unframed paintings. For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable painting criteria please visit the OPA website
- Opa Membership: Not a member and want to enter the Salon Show? Learn how to become a member
- March 31, 2021
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center
- Cost:$30.00 for one painting, $45.00 for two paintings, and $60.00 for three paintings Oil Painters of America and Quinlan Visual Arts Center will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit. The Jurying Committee consists of five Master Signature and/or Signature members of OPA. The results of the jurying will be final. No refunds will be made on unaccepted entries.
- April 30, 2021
- 12:00 am- 12:00 am
- Location: OPA website
- May 24, 2021
- 12:00 am- 12:00 am
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center May 24 - May 29 Shipped artwork to arrive at Quinlan Visual Arts Center
- March 24, 2021
- 12:00 am- 12:00 am
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center May 24 - May 29 Hand delivered artwork to arrive at Quinlan Visual Arts Center
- June 10, 2021
- 5:00 pm- 8:00 pm
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 6:30 p.m.
- August 7, 2021
- 12:00 am- 4:00 pm
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center June 10 - Aug 7 Show will be open for viewing. Gallery Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Sunday Closed
- August 13, 2021
- 9:00 am- 4:00 pm
- Location: Quinlan Visual Arts Center Aug. 9 - 13 Local Artists: paintings removed during this period. If not removed, a storage fee will be charged.