Born in 1956, Mark Daly grew up near the water on Long Island. With his mother’s encouragement, he began to draw at a young age. He learned to draw the area’s boats and coastline under the mentorship of Woodhull B Young (Curator of the Vanderbilt Museum).
Today, Mark uses a curious mind and keen observation of nature to determine the character of a scene and how to best tell his stories with oil paint. His goal is to create timeless art that emotionally connects. Mark’s work is in distinguished private, corporate, and university collections. He travels worldwide to paint and maintains studios in Ohio and on the coast of Maine.
Mark cross-fertilizes ideas from other areas of his life to be a better painter. He is a composer and performer of original mandolin music and a Voting Member of the Grammys (MandoMusic.com). He is author of several leadership/business books including Ten Treasures Strategic Playbook.
Mark is a Signature and Board Member of the American Impressionist Society (AIS), Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA), Artist Member of the Salmagundi Club, Artist Member of the Greenacres Artist Guild, and a member of Oil Painters of America (OPA). Mark graduated from Cornell University’s College of Arts and Sciences and has a master’s degree from The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School.
Select Recent Achievements:
- Empire Evening, View From the Salmagundi Club won Best Nocturne, Sunrise, Sunset Award in PleinAir Salon’s 10th Annual Art Competition (September 2020).
- Art Deco Building in Winter selected a Semi-Finalist in the 15th ARC Salon Competition and won Best Building Award in PleinAir Salon’s 10th Annual Art Competition (August 2020).
- Harbor Lights juried into American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA) 18th National Exhibition. This catalogued exhibition travels to five museums (through 2022).
- PBS TV (CET) filmed and aired a half hour segment with Mark Daly on Showcase with Barbara Kellar (2018).
- The ASMA Journal (American Society of Marine Artists) publishes Mark Daly’s Art Career: The Fruit of Rich Cross-fertilization (2018).
- Harbor Lights, Camden won First Place, Oil Painters of America (OPA) Spring 2017 National Showcase Competition.
- Southwest Art publishes Melodies in Paint article on Mark Daly (2017).
- Harbor Lights, Camden won Best Nocturne, Sunrise, Sunset Award in PleinAir Salon’s Art Competition (February – March 2017).
- Winter Flags won Best Building Award in PleinAir Salon’s Art Competition (October-November 2016).
- Six Daly paintings published in the book: Stars & Stripes; The American Flag in Contemporary Art (E. Ashley Rooney & Stephanie Standish, Schiffer Publishing, 2015). Presidential Flags painting represented on the cover.