Oil Painters of America’s 2022 Western Regional Exhibition
OPA’s 2022 Western Regional Exhibition is being hosted by Southwest Gallery, located in Dallas, Texas, September 10 through October 1, 2022. The Opening Reception will be held on Saturday, September 10, from 1:00 to 5:00pm with the awards presentation at 4:00pm.
The bustling city of Dallas offers something of interest for almost everyone. Outdoor enthusiasts may walk the 66 acre Dallas Arboretum & botanical Gardens, on the shores of White Rock Lake or visit one of the many parks throughout the city. The Dallas World Aquarium houses many endangered animals and works in cooperation with zoos throughout the world in breeding programs. Also of interest might be the Frontier Flight Museum with aviation artifacts and vehicles that focus on the history of aviation and space flight. Or, you might want to visit the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, which depicts the life of U.S. President John F. Kennedy through films, photos and other memorabilia.
Awards and Jurors
- Awards: The total awards will be approximately $11,500 in cash and merchandise, including a $4,000 Best In Show
The awarding juror will be Qiang Huang OPA
- Entry: Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, May 2, 2022. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Maximum file size is 5mb. Please upload a JPG or JPEG with a maximum width dimension of 2000px and a DPI between 300-350. To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: http://www.oilpaintersofamerica.com and look for the 2022 Western Regional Exhibition. The jurying fee for electronic entries is first painting is $35.00, second painting is $15.00 and third painting is $10.00. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through Stripe. No e-checks will be accepted.
- General Information: Our goal is to assemble approximately 100 of the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter. The total awards will be approximately $11,500 in cash and merchandise, including a $4,000 Best In Show. Artists will receive 50% of sale price with other 50% going to the gallery and OPA. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist's current pricing structure.
- Advanced Registration: To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: Juried Services and look for the 2022 Western Regional Exhibition.
- Show Rules: For detailed information regarding entry guidelines, substrate and framing Guidlines, entry information, and our calendar checklist: Click here ACCEPTABLE SUBSTRATES: Any primed, smooth, flat substrates including: primed canvas or linen, stretched or on a panel, wood, gesso board, acrylic gessoed dibond, aluminum, aluminum composite panel. Acrylic primer is acceptable. Oil primed paper is acceptable if adhered with archival adhesive to a proper archival substrate. Paintings should NOT require being placed under glass. UNACCEPTABLE SUBSTRATES: Any textured surface including decorative copper, tooled aluminum, natural stone, barn wood or three-dimensional objects. A substrate containing any printed image or photograph is prohibited regardless of whether it is your own or someone else's image/photograph. Paintings should NOT require being placed under glass. ACCEPTABLE FRAMING: All paintings must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum/gallery wrap canvas or deep board), the frame must be of adequate depth that the substrate does not extend more than half an inch beyond the back of the frame. Floater frames are acceptable for paintings on museum/gallery wrap canvas or deep board panels FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF ACCEPTABLE AND UNACCEPTABLE PAINTING CRITERIA, PLEASE CLICK HERE. Questions should be emailed to: email@example.com, or call 815-356-5987.
- Eligible Artists: Artists eligible to compete are citizens of the United States and Canada who reside in: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Manitoba, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Oklahoma, Oregon, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Yukon Territories, and all of Mexico, who are 2022 OPA members. Members who are citizens, both natural born or otherwise, of the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate regardless of where they live. For sake of convenience, citizens who reside elsewhere will compete in the region that corresponds with their last place of residence within North America. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the above states of the United States, Canada or Mexico, are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2022 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name. The decision of the Board is final.
- Liabilities and Responsibilities: Oil Painters of America and Southwest Gallery will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit. Good Luck and Good Painting
- Opa Membership: Not a member and want to enter the Western Regional Exhibition? Learn how to become a member
- July 8, 2022
- Location: Southwest Gallery
- Cost:$35 for the first painting, $15 for the second painting, $10 for the third painting Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Monday, May 2, 2022. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Maximum file size is 5mb. Please upload a JPG or JPEG with a maximum width dimension of 2000px and a DPI between 300-350. To submit your electronic application and images, please go directly to: http://www.oilpaintersofamerica.com and look for the 2022 Western Regional Exhibition. Only one painting can be accepted. Electronic payment may be made by credit card or through Stripe No e-checks will be accepted.
- August 10, 2022
- Location: OPA website
- August 25, 2022
- Location: Southwest Gallery August 25 - September 1: Shipped artwork to arrive at Southwest Gallery
- September 10, 2022
- 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm
- Location: Southwest Gallery Opening Reception: for collectors, press, exhibiting artists and the public from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Awards Presentation: announcement of winners will take place at 4:00 p.m.
- September 10, 2022
- Location: Southwest Gallery Show will be open for viewing. See below for gallery hours. Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday Closed
- October 5, 2022