For years, I have known and worked with many artists who range from struggling to very successful. Although there is no exact formula for success, I have noticed several common qualities that most successful artists possess. How many of these following success traits do you have?
- Passion: Art is at the core of their lives and they love what they do. Yes successful artists want to make money, but they are motivated by their passion, rather than by external rewards. If it were all about the money, they would run out of ideas.
- Courage: Successful artists have the courage to pursue their passion and their dreams. They are willing to take calculated risks. They have courage and understand that a comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
- Entrepreneurial: Successful artists understand how the art business world works. They work hard and know how to manage their time and how to delegate menial tasks. These artists understand the value of networking with galleries and their fellow artists. Successful artists also use branding, and social media to enhance their business and marketing plan. They recognize that money is a by-product of the value they offer. They follow their dream.
- Focused: Successful artists can concentrate. They keep their eye on the mark, and are goal oriented. When their tasks are complete, they continue to come up with fresh ideas.
- Evolve: With fresh ideas comes evolution. Success artists continue to grow, learn, and test themselves as artists.
- Resilient: They push themselves and know that success requires hard work. They learn from their mistakes and celebrate their achievements. Instead of giving up, they learn and better themselves from the rejection they often receive. Successful artists are problem solvers who find solutions. They are persistent.
- Support System: Successful artists surround themselves with likeminded people and those who are supportive of their art career. They do not allow naysayers or unsupportive people to block their path to success.
- Excellence: No matter what they pursue, they strive to do their best.
- Givers: Most successful artists are willing to share. They understand that the more you give, the more you will receive. They enjoy helping their fellow artist and are open in sharing their expertise with others.
- Manifestors: Successful artists view creativity as an abundant source. They are able to manifest their artistic visions onto canvas and their professional dreams into reality.
To succeed takes hard work, but it can be a learned behavior. It’s basically a matter of your attitude, and how you approach your art business and creative tasks. If you want to achieve your life’s dream of becoming a successful artist, hang out with successful artists and model yourself after them.