Oil Painters of America’s 2022 Annual Exhibition, Convention & Wet Paint Competition
Oil Painters of America’s is pleased to return to the Steamboat Art Museum “SAM” in Steamboat Springs, Colorado for the Thirty-first National Exhibition and Convention. The Exhibition will take place from June 3 through August 27, 2022
Convention activities begin on Tuesday, May 31 with the very popular Wet Paint Competition, and end on Sunday, June 5. The opening reception for artists, collectors, the public and the press will be held on Friday, June 3, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., with the awards presentation taking place at 8:30 p.m.
Our goal is to assemble the finest display of representational oil paintings. The focus in the jurying process will be to select paintings that show the highest quality in draftsmanship, color, and composition, emphasizing a diversity in representational style and subject matter.
The total national awards will be approximately $100,000 in cash and merchandise, including a $25,000 Best In Show.
The awarding juror will be Master Signature member Johanna Harmon.
Artists eligible to compete are citizens – both natural born or otherwise – of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2022 OPA members. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2022 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name.
The decision of the Board is final.
Awards and Jurors
- Awards: The total national awards will be approximately $100,000 in cash and merchandise, including a $25,000 Best In Show.
- Jurors: Master Signature member Johanna Harmon
- Entry: SUBMISSIONS DUE: Friday, January 28, 2022
- Canvas size: Maximum size not to exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Example: 30” height x 40” width = 1,200 sq. in.
- Maximum entries three (3). However, only one (1) painting may be accepted.
- Paintings must be created on one singular flat substrate and framed and wired for hanging. Multiples are unacceptable – i.e., diptychs, triptychs.
- The substrate must not exceed the maximum size set forth in the prospectus. Be sure to read each prospectus carefully, as the acceptable size of the substrate changes depending on the gallery/museum.
- Copyright infringement of any kind is unacceptable. It is unethical and against OPA policy for artists to submit work created from another person’s drawing/painting/photo or other artwork. Purchased reference material that transfers copyright to the artist is unacceptable.
- Digital apps and programs may be used for cropping your reference photos, etc., but no digital, mechanical, photo, or other transferring to the substrate of any kind is acceptable. You must draw and/or paint the image on your substrate yourself.
- Your submission must be originally conceived: your own reference, your own drawing, your own concept and must have been self -painted.
- No direct copies of stock images, historic photos, or of any reference to which you do not hold total copyright are allowed. You must be able to provide signed documentation of total copyright should OPA request.
- Paintings created in an instructional setting, including but not limited to workshops and art classes are not considered original artwork. A painting created from a group photoshoot set up by another artist is not considered original artwork. Paintings created in an open studio where artists share the model are acceptable provided there was no instruction being given of any kind.
- Painting must have been created within the last 3 years.
- An artist may submit a painting for a National Exhibition that has previously been accepted into an OPA Regional Exhibition, Salon Show or entered in OPA’s Online Showcase.
- An artist may not submit a painting for a National Exhibition if it has previously been accepted into another OPA National Exhibition.
- An artist may not submit a painting for a Regional Exhibition that has previously been accepted into a Regional Exhibition, … Salon Show or an OPA National Exhibition.
- The artist retains copyright to his/her image(s). However, accepted images do become part of OPA archives and may be used for future OPA event promotion.
- All work must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings that do not reflect the artist’s current pricing structure may be disqualified from the competition.
- An artist who withdraws an entry after acceptance into the exhibition shall not be eligible to enter any OPA exhibitions for the next two years.
- General Information:
Online Submissions — Deadline: Friday, January 28, 2022
Electronic applications will be accepted beginning Wednesday, November 10, 2021 and extend through Friday, January 28, 2022. Maximum canvas size may not exceed 1,200 square inches (unframed). Maximum file size is 5mb. Please upload a JPG or JPEG with a maximum width dimension of 2000px and a DPI between 300-350.
The jurying fee for entries is: first painting is $35.00, the second painting is $15.00 and third painting is $10. Only one painting can be accepted. An electronic payment may be made by credit card or through Stripe. No e-checks will be accepted.
You must be a paid member through December 31, 2022, at a cost of $70.00. If you are not a member of OPA you must apply and be accepted before the system will allow you to enter the exhibition. If you are a renewing member and have not paid your dues for 2022 the system will not accept your exhibition entry.
Sales commission is as follows: 40% to the museum, 10% to OPA, and 50% to the artist for all paintings sold. Please take this into consideration when setting your price. All work that is submitted must be for sale. No NFS. Paintings must be priced in accordance with the artist’s current pricing structure.
Delivery and Return of Accepted Work
Delivery for Local Artists: Deliver uncrated paintings to Steamboat Art Museum from April 11 - 15, 2022. Hand delivered work must be picked up between August 29 and September 2, 2022.
Out of Town Artists: ship to Steamboat Art Museum, 807 Lincoln Ave., Steamboat Springs, CO 80487 to arrive between April 11 and April 15, 2022.
Handling Fee: Out of Town Artists must pay a $35.00 fee online prior to their painting being hung. This fee covers the expense of uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating, and contacting your shipper for return. Artists may elect to include a return shipping label with their painting OR may email the label directly to Steamboat Art Museum. OPA will waive the uncrating fee for artists who use a commercially manufactured artist’s/strong box such as a StrongBox™ by Airfloat Systems, or similar brands, like Masterpak, Uline, or a FedEx Premium Art Box (not a FedEx Large Frame Box). NOTE: Home Depot boxes are NOT included in the list of boxes for which the fee will be waived. Artists who do not use one of these special boxes are required to remit the $35 prior to the hanging of the painting. Strongboxes will be returned to the artists at the conclusion of the show at the artist’s expense. PLEASE, NO WOODEN CRATES!
Shipments from OUTSIDE the US must be shipped “FREE DOMICILE” or will not be accepted. Notification posted on OPA website: Jury results posted on OPA website February 25, 2022.
- Advanced Registration: EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION $425 members/$450 non-members when you register before February 28, 2022
- Show Rules:
Wet Paint Rules can be found here: Wet Paint Rules
ACCEPTABLE SUBSTRATES: Any primed, smooth, flat substrates including: primed canvas or linen, stretched or on a panel, wood, gesso board, acrylic gessoed dibond, aluminum, aluminum composite panel. Acrylic primer is acceptable. Oil primed paper is acceptable if adhered with archival adhesive to a proper archival substrate. Paintings should NOT require being placed under glass.
UNACCEPTABLE SUBSTRATES: Any textured surface including decorative copper, tooled aluminum, natural stone, barn wood or three-dimensional objects. A substrate containing any printed image or photograph is prohibited regardless of whether it is your own or someone else's image/photograph. Paintings should NOT require being placed under glass.
ACCEPTABLE FRAMING: All paintings must be framed and wired for hanging. When framing deep-edged paintings (museum/gallery wrap canvas or deep board), the frame must be of an adequate depth that the substrate does not extend more than half an inch beyond the back of the frame. Floater frames are acceptable for paintings on museum/gallery wrap canvas or deep board panels.
Questions should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 815-356-5987.
- Eligible Artists:
Artists eligible to compete are citizens – both natural born or otherwise - of the United States, Canada, or Mexico who are 2022 OPA members. Nonresident aliens who currently live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico are eligible to participate provided that they have been physically present at the address provided to OPA for eight of the last twelve months and that the residency is considered to be their permanent domicile and that they are 2022 OPA members. Nonresident aliens whose North American residency is in question will be asked to provide proof of residency including, but not limited to, employment history, references, and utility bills in the individual’s name.
The decision of the Board is final.
- Liabilities and Responsibilities:
Oil Painters of America and Steamboat Art Museum will not be responsible for loss or damage of any artwork, no matter what the cause. By submitting artwork to this exhibition, each artist will be deemed to have concurred with this agreement. Artists pay for shipping both ways. We suggest that you provide insurance to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
Good Luck and Good Painting!
- Opa Membership: Not a member and want to enter the National Exhibition? Learn how to become a member
- May 31, 2022
- June 1, 2022
- June 2, 2022
- June 3, 2022
- June 4, 2022
- June 5, 2022